This caramelised onion sausage casserole uses a combination of spices to accentuate the succulent sausage flavour. Ideal to prepare in advance for a dinner party or for a family gathering.
6 – 7 sausages serves 2-3 people.
Crombies caramelised onion sausages (6/ 7)
Mushrooms (as many as you like!)
Bacon (1 pack should suffice – smoked adds greater flavour)
White Spanish onions (1 ½)
Garlic (2 cloves)
Mixed Spice (1/2 tsp)
Smoked Paprika (1/2 tsp)
Ground Black Pepper (1/4 tsp)
Fennel Seed (1/2 tsp)
Ground Nutmeg (1/4 tsp)
Baby Potatoes (allow 4 – 5 per person)
Red Wine (optional)
Gravy Mix (optional)
1. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the sausages gently for 10 minutes, until nicely browned all over. Set aside.
2. Use the same pan to fry mushrooms for couple of minutes and set aside. (Mushrooms should be dried before frying with butter)
3. Use larger pan to fry the chopped bacon with diced onion (1 and half white Spanish onions) and diced garlic (2 cloves) for about 2 minutes.
4. Add salt, bay leaves, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp fennel seed, 1/2 tsp mix spiced, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg and cook together for a min.
5. Add baby potatoes and chicken stock.
6. Pour over the red wine or some water if you’re not using wine, and bring to a simmer.
7. Carefully add sausages and return to a simmer, then reduce the heat, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring from time to time.
8. Add gravy mix or Beurre manié (paste made from flour and softened butter as equal quantities) to thicken a sauce and cook for another 5 minutes.
9. Add cooked mushroom at last and stir it together.
10. Now sit back and enjoy!!
Buy your Crombies caramelised onion sausages